[perl #133587] toolchain possibilities for avoiding "binariesmismatched" error

From:
Dan Book via RT
Date:
October 18, 2018 19:24
Subject:
[perl #133587] toolchain possibilities for avoiding "binariesmismatched" error
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-6376-1539890658-1364.133587-15-0@perl.org
On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 11:59:00 -0700, frederik@ofb.net wrote:
> I guess a summary of this thread is that most Perl developers either
> (1) don't use Perl on systems where they don't have root access, or
> (2) compile their own Perl and install it somewhere in ~/ in such
> cases.

I don't think it's useful to try to categorize what "most" Perl developers do based on a few people's limited perception of the userbase.

> It would be a big help if I could tell 'cpan' to avoid reinstalling
> modules which already exist in PERL5LIB. Would this create problems
> with users experiencing false bugs that are actually due to module
> version mismatches? Relatedly, when CPAN modules depend on each other,
> do they depend on a specific version number (which could be checked by
> "module managers" like 'cpanm', when deciding to rely on an existing
> system-level module installation)?

'cpan' and 'cpanm' already skip installing modules which already exist in PERL5LIB, unless the existing version does not satisfy the requirement. CPAN module dependencies often include a version requirement, and the 'cpanm' client can take a version requirement directly: Some::Module@1.23

-Dan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open