Re: [perl #133588] Symbol for 'micro' is erroneously uppercased toGreek 'MU'.

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
October 18, 2018 15:05
Re: [perl #133588] Symbol for 'micro' is erroneously uppercased toGreek 'MU'.
Message ID:
55862dee-fdb0-9745-53d0-77b4607301da@khwilliamson.com
On 10/18/18 1:07 AM, Bo Lindbergh wrote:
> Quoth G.W. Haywood via perl5-porters:
>> It seems quite odd that the 'micro sign' should have its own code,
>> separate from the 'small mu' - because it's a completely different
>> thing - and then to turn something which expresses a millionth of a
>> something into something which looks like a million of them just by
>> treating a 'micro' as if it is a 'mu', which clearly it is not.
>>
>> If you're saying that Perl does this because that's what the Unicode
>> rules say it must do then I can understand the dilemma, but AFAICT
>> it's the only symbol to be abused this way and at the very least it
>> seems to be a violation of the principle of least astonishment.

Yes we are saying that we are obeying Unicode rules here.  I believe
this particular issue is because Unicode tried to "Uni"fy all the
existing "Code" standards, and so was constrained to be compatible with
them.  Before computers, there was no need for semantic compatibility,
so if you had a key on your typewriter you could type to get close to
the desired marking on the paper, you used that.  When computers came
along, these symbols were re-used, and when they were extended
eventually to other countries, if you had the mark already, you used
that.  And you can see how you might end up with a mess.  The Greek
question mark looks like ";", and I consider it a defect in Unicode that
whenever you encounter one, the program is supposed to immediately turn
it into the semi-colon.

To report a problem you can use
https://www.unicode.org/reporting.html
but I doubt the response you will receive would be very enlightening.
You could also subscribe to the email list
https://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist-unicode.html
and bring the subject up there.  Mentioning that you are a newbie to the
Standard should minimize the chances that you will be subject to scorn
from would-be members of the in-crowd.

http://unicode.org/reports/tr25/tr25-6.html#_Toc25