Re: [perl #133588] Symbol for 'micro' is erroneously uppercased toGreek 'MU'.

From:
Bo Lindbergh
Date:
October 18, 2018 07:08
Re: [perl #133588] Symbol for 'micro' is erroneously uppercased toGreek 'MU'.
Message ID:
98682911-634A-4DE9-BFE9-03E7C21DEF10@gmail.com
Quoth G.W. Haywood via perl5-porters:
> It seems quite odd that the 'micro sign' should have its own code,
> separate from the 'small mu' - because it's a completely different
> thing - and then to turn something which expresses a millionth of a
> something into something which looks like a million of them just by
> treating a 'micro' as if it is a 'mu', which clearly it is not.
>
> If you're saying that Perl does this because that's what the Unicode
> rules say it must do then I can understand the dilemma, but AFAICT
> it's the only symbol to be abused this way and at the very least it
> seems to be a violation of the principle of least astonishment.

The abbreviation of the micro- prefix is an ordinary lowercase Greek
letter, just as the abbreviation of the milli- prefix is an ordinary
lowercase Latin letter.  The duplicate encoding exists only for historical
compatibility.  There are more similar cases, e.g. U+212A KELVIN SIGN.

See Unicode Technical Report #25, section 2.5 Duplicated Characters.

/Bo Lindbergh