[perl #133587] toolchain possibilities for avoiding "binariesmismatched" error

From:
Dan Book via RT
Date:
October 15, 2018 20:32
Subject:
[perl #133587] toolchain possibilities for avoiding "binariesmismatched" error
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-26098-1539635569-1541.133587-15-0@perl.org
On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 13:23:29 -0700, slaven@rezic.de wrote:
> Leon Timmermans <fawaka@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 1:39 PM Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com>
> > wrote:
> >> No, what you really want to do is, if installing under your home
> >> directory, install version-sensitive files under version-specific
> >> paths.
> >> This appears to be a infelicity in the current local::lib tool. I
> >> don't
> >> know a lot about local::lib, and I'm not a "toolchain guy", so I
> >> don't
> >> know whether there's a good reason why local::lib does things the
> >> way it
> >> does or whether it can be altered / extended to include versions in
> >> paths.
> >
> > local::lib doesn't support version/configuration specific paths
> > because PERL5LIB doesn't support such a thing.
>
> Hmmm. "perldoc perlrun" says:
>
> PERL5LIB        [...] Any architecture-specific and version-specific
>                 directories, such as version/archname/, version/, or
>                 archname/ under the specified locations are
> automatically
>                 included if they exist
>
> So PERL5LIB does the right thing. Unfortunately EUMM's INSTALL_BASE
> does
> not support this.

This documentation only mentions 'version-specific' since Perl 5.18.0. The documentation for https://perldoc.pl/lib mentions it since Perl 5.8.9. I'm not sure if this reflects when the feature was actually present, but local::lib does need to support older Perls.

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open