[perl #133521] This bug tracker is very slow and inconvenient

From:
Steve Peters via RT
Date:
October 5, 2018 19:47
Subject:
[perl #133521] This bug tracker is very slow and inconvenient
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-23527-1538768857-122.133521-15-0@perl.org
On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 00:29:06 -0700, rdiezmail-perl@yahoo.de wrote:

> This bug tracker is very slow and inconvenient.
>

> Sometimes, it takes days for an e-mail to come up under a bug report.
> The delays are not always the same, so the order of the e-mails does not
> seem to always be maintained.
>
> My last e-mail to a bug report to got simply lost. Or it is taking
> longer than 6 days.
>
> This lack of speed must be known already, since the e-mail you get when
> creating a bug states this:
>
> "Within the next 24 to 72 hours, your message will be posted to the Perl
> 5 Porters mailing list. Please be patient!"
>
> 1 to 3 days is not very fast nowadays.
>

> You can't just create an account like on other bug trackers in order to
> edit the bugs online. I don't want to use my Facebook or Google
> accounts. Well, I do not actually have any of those yet. I don't want
> any Bitcard or OpenID. I would just create a separate account, like
> everywhere else.
>

> I also find the tracker's web pages and documentation confusing, at
> least compared to the more popular bug trackers.
>

> I just tried clicking on the "About" link, which has the following URL:
>
>    https://rt.perl.org/NoAuth/About.html
>
> and I got this error:
>
> "An internal RT error has occurred. Your administrator can find more
> details in RT's log files."
>

> Is the bug tracker written in Perl 5?  }8-)
>
> This state of affairs does not make Perl 5 look good. It is not a recent
> development, it has been like this for years. If it were my project, I
> would either fix the bug tracker, or replace it altogether.
>
> I heard that Perl 6 recent moved to Github, at least for bug reporting.
> I would personally favour https://savannah.nongnu.org/ instead. But I do
> not really mind, as long as reporting and tracking bugs gets better.

Looking at the times of the email receipt and opening of the bug, it seems to have opened with seconds of the email receipt so there are no problems with opening your ticket.  The timing in the email might be off since bugs are no longer automatically posted to the p5p mailing list.  As that email content isn't really a bug in Perl, I'll close this ticket and check with our helpful administrators to see if we can get the content of that response email updated.

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: new