develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2018

Re: RFC: change perl5 versioning

From:
David Cantrell
Date:
September 26, 2018 12:08
Re: RFC: change perl5 versioning
Message ID:
20180926114107.GA23179@bytemark.barnyard.co.uk
On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 11:39:50AM -0400, Dan Book wrote:
> I advise you to read
> http://blogs.perl.org/users/grinnz/2018/04/a-guide-to-versions-in-perl.html
> carefully, with the understanding that this is how versions work in many
> thousands of CPAN distributions both for their own versions, versions of
> other distributions, and versions of Perl itself; and then reconsider
> whether changing things is a good idea.

Hear hear! While software versioning is in general stupid and broken
(did you know that there are some morons out there who think that
version 3.0014 comes after 3.1?) please let's not add yet another
variation to the ball of hate. It's already far too complicated.

Unless we're going to use animal names instead of numbers. I suggest
that we use beetles just because we'll never run out.

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

    Erudite is when you make a classical allusion to a
    feather.  Kinky is when you use the whole chicken.