develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2018

Re: RFC: change perl5 versioning

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
September 26, 2018 07:44
Re: RFC: change perl5 versioning
Message ID:
20180926074421.GG3102@iabyn.com
On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 09:19:17AM +0200, Branislav ZahradnĂ­k wrote:
> > A more technical objection is that the middle number of a perl version is
> > used to signify binary (in)compatibility of compiled XS modules.
> > If for some reason we wanted to release 2 perls in the same year that
> > weren't binary compatible, how would we number them?
> >

> I have to admit I didn't imagine this.
>
> Though using Leon's presentation in Glasgow where he mentioned that it will
> be good
> to switch from changes summary to changes plan, I think, this can avoid
> such situation.

Not having seen Leon's presentation, I don't know what you are referring
to here, so can't form an opinion as to whether it can avoid such a
situation.

> I don't think so. Marketing is valid motivation as well if it is feasible.
> And this RFC is about feasibility.

It's only a valid motivation if, in addition, it has a real, significant
effect.  The target market isn't people choosing a brand of washing
powder, its programmers deciding which language(s) to invest their time in
learning, and project managers deciding which language(s) to commit to
when starting or retooling their project.

Their reasons not to choose perl are likely to be based around such
perceptions (rightly or wrongly) that its:
    * a write-only language;
    * it's line-noise;
    * its old fashioned;
    * it's hard to learn;
    * it's hard to maintain;
    * it's in decline and newer, better languages are now available;
    * its hard to do threading / OO / other sexy new technology / etc;

I have never heard anyone complaining that perl is no longer maintained
or that it no longer has yearly releases. I *have* heard complaints
that the new releases contain very little that is new or exciting.

--
But Pity stayed his hand. "It's a pity I've run out of bullets",
he thought. -- "Bored of the Rings"