develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2018

Re: RFC: change perl5 versioning

From:
Dan Book
Date:
September 25, 2018 15:40
Re: RFC: change perl5 versioning
Message ID:
CABMkAVXcHSTvoBq6YQtSA7d=+Yu9evOfJPGRR6A9aVkkRpoFag@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 8:05 AM Branislav ZahradnĂ­k <happy.barney@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to ask you your opinion about changing perl5 versioning to
> reflect year it was released.
>
> Examples:
> v5.2018.0
> v5.2018.1
>
> Motivation:
> - it will show more clearly that language is still alive and maintained
> - I think it will be easier to advocate upload with words "we are using
> perl5 version 2010", current version is 2018
> - current Modern::Perl can be confusing (specially for newcomers) where
> you have to know which version was released when.
>
> I tried to walk through some workflows:
>
> - $] is number, can be changed to 4+3 or 4+2 pattern
> eg: 5..201801 or 5.2018001
>
> Numeric comparison will work, though pretty print will be affected.
>
> - use VERSION
> Works fine with vstring:
>
> bash$ perl -Mv5.2018
> Perl v5.2018.0 required--this is only v5.6.2, stopped.
>
> with just number pretty print is not so clear:
>
> bash$ perl -M5.2018
> Perl v5.201.800 required--this is only v5.6.2, stopped.
>
> Solution can be for example to enforce vstring in "use VERSION" if VERSION
> > 5.2
>
> - both ExtUtils::MakeMaker and Module::Build can handle these versions
>
> There is also gist summary:
> https://gist.github.com/happy-barney/b92755cce092a138cb40a084391f5897
>
> Best regards,
> Branislav ZahradnĂ­k

I advise you to read
http://blogs.perl.org/users/grinnz/2018/04/a-guide-to-versions-in-perl.html
carefully, with the understanding that this is how versions work in many
thousands of CPAN distributions both for their own versions, versions of
other distributions, and versions of Perl itself; and then reconsider
whether changing things is a good idea.

-Dan