develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2018

RFC: change perl5 versioning

From:
=?UTF-8?Q?Branislav_Zahradn=C3=ADk?=
Date:
September 25, 2018 12:04
RFC: change perl5 versioning
Message ID:
CAB=rbO=25+mnvnmHVfgdu4B1dXLy0MmaPaf2xVH9BLXAJFHYcQ@mail.gmail.com
Hi all,

I'd like to ask you your opinion about changing perl5 versioning to reflect
year it was released.

Examples:
v5.2018.0
v5.2018.1

Motivation:
- it will show more clearly that language is still alive and maintained
- I think it will be easier to advocate upload with words "we are using
perl5 version 2010", current version is 2018
- current Modern::Perl can be confusing (specially for newcomers) where you
have to know which version was released when.

I tried to walk through some workflows:

- $] is number, can be changed to 4+3 or 4+2 pattern
eg: 5..201801 or 5.2018001

Numeric comparison will work, though pretty print will be affected.

- use VERSION
Works fine with vstring:

bash$ perl -Mv5.2018
Perl v5.2018.0 required--this is only v5.6.2, stopped.

with just number pretty print is not so clear:

bash$ perl -M5.2018
Perl v5.201.800 required--this is only v5.6.2, stopped.

Solution can be for example to enforce vstring in "use VERSION" if VERSION
> 5.2

- both ExtUtils::MakeMaker and Module::Build can handle these versions

There is also gist summary:
https://gist.github.com/happy-barney/b92755cce092a138cb40a084391f5897

Best regards,
Branislav ZahradnĂ­k