develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2018

[perl #133462] better document ways to run single tests underwindows

From:
Tony Cook via RT
Date:
September 6, 2018 03:32
Subject:
[perl #133462] better document ways to run single tests underwindows
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-12831-1536204773-180.133462-15-0@perl.org
On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 07:51:10 -0700, walde.christian@gmail.com wrote:
> Operating under a tuit shortness but want this to be retained:
>
> It is possible to run only select test files even under windows, but
> the ways to do it aren't documented in the perl repo and need to be
> extracted from #p5p tribal knowledge and by searching through the
> makefiles. We worked out some ways that do work, and it'd be nice if
> they could be added to README.win32
>
> Details in attached IRC log.

From pod/perlhack.pod:

=head2 Running tests by hand

You can run part of the test suite by hand by using one of the
following commands from the F<t/> directory:

    ./perl -I../lib TEST list-of-.t-files

or

    ./perl -I../lib harness list-of-.t-files

Under Win32's "test" target you may use the TEST_SWITCHES and
TEST_FILES environment variables to control the behaviour of
F<t/harness>.  This means you can say

    nmake test TEST_FILES="op/*.t"
    nmake test TEST_SWITCHES="-torture" TEST_FILES="op/*.t"

Neither is really specific to Win32, except that you need to be in win32/ directory for the makes, but that's true for all makes for the Win32 port.

Tony

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open