develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2018

[perl #132663] t/io/fs.t failures on NetBSD with noatime mounts

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
September 4, 2018 15:39
Subject:
[perl #132663] t/io/fs.t failures on NetBSD with noatime mounts
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-29836-1536075584-1733.132663-15-0@perl.org
On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 15:50:55 GMT, slaven@rezic.de wrote:

> This is a bug report for perl from slaven@rezic.de,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.40 running under perl 5.26.1.

> On NetBSD systems t/io/fs.t may fail:
>

> # Failed test 30 - atime at t/io/fs.t line 324
> # Failed test 31 - mtime at t/io/fs.t line 325
> # Failed test 36 - atime at t/io/fs.t line 324
> # Failed test 37 - mtime at t/io/fs.t line 325
> t/io/fs.t .. Failed 4/61 subtests
>         (less 5 skipped subtests: 52 okay)
>
> Test Summary Report
> -------------------
> t/io/fs.t (Wstat: 0 Tests: 61 Failed: 4)
>   Failed tests:  30-31, 36-37
> Files=1, Tests=61,  1 wallclock secs ( 0.28 usr  0.08 sys +  0.20
> cusr  0.11 csys =  0.67 CPU)
> Result: FAIL
>

> This happens if the filesystem where the test files are created
> s mounted with noatime. Unlike on other OS, it's not possible
> to change the accesstime using utime* on NetBSD in this situation.
>
> A related issue with more discussion:
> https://github.com/golang/go/issues/19293
>
> Probably it's best to skip this test if $^O eq 'netbsd' and
> `mount | grep $tmpdir` shows that noatime is enabled.

While adding some SKIP code to t/io/fs.t would be relatively straightforward, validating that it would work would require (I think) that we have access to NetBSD machines in a variety of configurations and OS versions.  This would be logistically difficult, given that we have only person submitting smoke tests on NetBSD -- and I suspect those smokers are VMs with stock configurations.

> As a side note, it looks like the mtime test is also failing,
> but this is a limitation in the test script --- probably the last
> two fails in check_utime_result() should be differentiated.

Is that a problem specific to NetBSD or is it a conceptual flaw which extends across platforms?  If you think that this is a significant problem, could you open a perlbug focusing just on this?

> And as a last note, I don't have a NetBSD machine to test --- the
> problem was just suspected by me and confirmed by Nigel Horne.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)