Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again

From:
frederik
Date:
Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again
Message ID:
17551_1535387214_5B84264D_17551_71_1_20180827162635.GJ8901@ofb.net
Here is an updated version of the documentation patch. I made some
clarifications and also added a paragraph suggesting that users prefer
distribution packages of perl modules.

After I learned that 'cpan -r' and other installation commands cause
core modules to get reinstalled locally, I'm interested in learning
how to prevent that from happening.

The 'cpanm' man page has some promising options for excluding core and
vendor modules but when I try these options with such a module, then
the module still gets installed:

    $ cpanm --self-contained --exclude-vendor HTTP::Date
    --> Working on HTTP::Date
    Fetching http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/G/GA/GAAS/HTTP-Date-6.02.tar.gz ... OK

If anyone can comment on this...

I also welcome comments on the patches.