[perl #133477] perl 5 (v.5.26.1) interpreter crashes on 64-bitWindows

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
August 27, 2018 00:26
Subject:
[perl #133477] perl 5 (v.5.26.1) interpreter crashes on 64-bitWindows
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-9214-1535329610-564.133477-15-0@perl.org
On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 22:34:18 GMT, patrickmclot@gmail.com wrote:
> I am running ActiveState Perl (v5.26.1) on a 64-bit Windows 7 installation.
> I checked on perlMonks and it turns out this bug is in Strawberry Perl
> 64-bit as well. It runs fine on 32-bit Windows and 64-bit Linux.  The
> file that reproduces the bug is attached as "small".
>
> Cheers,
> Patrick

Let me see if I correctly understand your sample program (re-attached with a .pl extension).

You open a (global) filehandle to read from a file -- that file being the program itself.

For each line read you call a subroutine, parser(), which takes the line as input but then does nothing with it, since all the subroutine does is to print "Hello, world".

If I run it on Linux, all I get is:

#####
$ perl 133477-small.pl
"?) at 133477-small.pl line 10, <INFILE> line 1."#!perl
#####

I confess that I don't understand the point of such a program -- but I concede that that doesn't explain why it crashes on Windows (which I don't have available).

Thank you very much.
--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---