What's happening with our list moderation?

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
August 24, 2018 02:25
Subject:
What's happening with our list moderation?
Message ID:
20180824022519.18491.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
Something is wrong with our list moderation.  It has been my observation
over the years that RT bug reports by first-time correspondents tend to
be held, presumably for moderation, before they appear on the
perl5-porters mailing list/newsgroup.  This is particularly noticeable
on weekends: Bug tickets filed by first-timers often don't appear until
the following Monday.  This often results in someone's *reply* via RT to
appear on the list before the original post has appeared on list.

But the gap between the initial appearance on RT and posting to the list
has gotten very severe this week.

Take https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=133459 for example.
This was filed by a person who I believe is a first-time contributor and
appeared on RT on Mon, 20 Aug 2018 23:42:55 GMT.  I've filed two
I'm sending this message.  The original poster wrote to me:  "I already
replied to the perlbug-followup@perl.org email with your response that i
got, but i think my reply got lost in the spam filter, because i don't
see it on the website of the ticket. So i am sending you my reply
directly ..."

A similar case (though a more recent RT filing):
https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=133465 filed Wed, 22 Aug 2018
09:12:39 GMT.  I've filed two responses via RT, but the original post
has not yet appeared on list.

More data.  As of the time of this message, each of the following 4 RT
tickets has been marked as Created "2 days ago" on RT.  None of them
have been transcribed to the mailing list as yet.

Our list moderation procedures are not public, so I can only speculate
as to the problem.  For instance, do we lack summer vacation coverage
for list moderators?

How can we address this problem?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan