Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again
Message ID:
1706_1534927837_5B7D23DC_1706_17_1_20180822085018.GB3230@iabyn.com
On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 07:55:14PM -0700, Karen Etheridge wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 3:35 AM, Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:
>
> > Note that the default behaviour for perl *is* always to install in
> > version-specific directories. The behaviour you are seeing is that of a
> > third-party module, local::lib, which is not bundled with perl, and which
> > we (p5p) have no control over. (Although elsewhere in this thread it
> > appears that MakeMaker etc may be to blame too.)
>
> But the toolchain gang does, and there's a large overlap between that group
> and p5p. We should not go "oh well, not in core, not our problem" and leave
> it to the original bug reporter to have to pursue the issue in another bug
> queue (and attempt to explain the problem again, which leads to a game of
> telephone). We can do better than that.

You quoted one paragraph of mine from a long email, where I had clearly
spent some some and thought on the issue, and was attempting to narrow the
issues, and trying to find out which bits need fixing and by who etc. At
no point did I say or imply "not a perl issue, go bug the owner of
local::lib instead; I'm closing this ticket".

What I said in that paragraph is also completely true - whatever
discussions we might have here, and what grand solutions we might propose
to fix local::lib, ultimately the owner of the cpan module is free to have
their own ideas as to what what their module should do and be irritated
that p5p is drying to dictate solutions to them.

So I'm mildly peeved by your response, and the OP's follow up of "oh at
last someone's taking some responsibility" - after about 7 porters have
already taken time and effort to try and diagnose the issue or suggest
workarounds and/or long-term solutions.

--
"There's something wrong with our bloody ships today, Chatfield."
    -- Admiral Beatty at the Battle of Jutland, 31st May 1916.