Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again

From:
Dan Book
Date:
Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again
Message ID:
7629_1534895999_5B7CA77F_7629_40_1_CABMkAVUE_P9W+Ctxjou4OTx_Y5BE_X2a2NAvKYjoAcyLr0_62g@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 7:45 PM <frederik@ofb.net> wrote:

> You're saying that these modules are purposefully installed by 'cpan'
> even when compatible versions already exist in 'core'?
>
> I guess not everyone expects this, because when I first submitted this
> bug report I got a response from Andy Dougherty saying "I'm not sure
> why you have Compress::Raw::Zlib installed locally, since it has been
> bundled with perl since version 5.9.4." And I have in my shell history
> that I uninstalled it, while now it is back in ~/.local. Although when
> I removed it again and re-ran 'cpan -r', it didn't reappear, so I'm
> not entirely sure what's happening.

That is correct. His response seemed to account for this possibility but
was asking why you had installed a newer version in a local lib without the
use of version specific directories, which could be considered a deficiency
in the toolchain. Regardless, upgrades to dual-life modules are installed
in sitelib or local libs very commonly, this is the reason they are
available from CPAN. I can't comment on how CPAN.pm's recompile function
interacts with dual-life modules or local libs.

-Dan