Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again

From:
frederik
Date:
Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again
Message ID:
4052_1534895070_5B7CA3D9_4052_13_2_20180821234356.GG9919@ofb.net
>  These are dual-life modules; it is expected and often desired to install
> them a second time in site or vendor libs to upgrade them from the core
> module version. Since Perl 5.12, site and vendor libs take precedence
> in @INC for that reason. local::lib of course takes precedence over all
> standard lib directories. cpanm's uninstall command relies on packlists,
> and thus can only uninstall modules installed by a cpan client (whether
> cpanm or cpan).

You're saying that these modules are purposefully installed by 'cpan'
even when compatible versions already exist in 'core'?

I guess not everyone expects this, because when I first submitted this
bug report I got a response from Andy Dougherty saying "I'm not sure
why you have Compress::Raw::Zlib installed locally, since it has been
bundled with perl since version 5.9.4." And I have in my shell history
that I uninstalled it, while now it is back in ~/.local. Although when
I removed it again and re-ran 'cpan -r', it didn't reappear, so I'm
not entirely sure what's happening.

Thanks,

Frederick