Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again

From:
frederik
Date:
Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again
Message ID:
17452_1534649124_5B78E31A_17452_5_1_20180819032441.GB9919@ofb.net
Thanks for your reply. While trying to downgrade my system (debugging
another issue) I discovered a possible reason why I have problematic
binary modules in my home directory which are also in Perl core
(causing cpan to break when I upgrade Perl). The reason appears to be
that the "recompile" cpan command reinstalls modules which I had
removed earlier using 'cpanm'.

$ PERL5LIB= cpanm -U Digest::SHA
$ PERL5LIB= cpanm -U Time::HiRes
$ perldoc -l Time::HiRes
/usr/lib/perl5/5.28/core_perl/Time/HiRes.pm
$ perldoc -l Digest::SHA
/usr/lib/perl5/5.28/core_perl/Digest/SHA.pm

(after cpan recompile)

$ perldoc -l Time::HiRes
/home/frederik/.local/lib/perl5/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/Time/HiRes.pm
$ perldoc -l Digest::SHA
/home/frederik/.local/lib/perl5/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/Digest/SHA.pm

I don't know if this is a bug or just an annoyance, but it may go a
little way towards solving the mystery of why I have these modules
around, since I think I recall removing them earlier. Obviously, I
don't look too carefully at the ouput of 'cpan -r', because I have
better things to do, I just assume it's doing the "right thing". By
the time I realize that I have duplicate modules installed, it's
probably a year later and I don't remember having removed them.

Also, I notice that if I ask 'cpanm' to install a module which is
already in core, then it doesn't warn me:

$ perldoc -l DB_File
/usr/lib/perl5/5.28/core_perl/DB_File.pm
$ cpanm DB_File
--> Working on DB_File
Fetching http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/P/PM/PMQS/DB_File-1.842.tar.gz ... OK
Configuring DB_File-1.842 ... ^C

I haven't checked what happens if I use cpanm to install a module
which depends on modules in core, but if you give me an example of a
CPAN module with dependencies in core then I can try this out.

I couldn't figure out how to use the 'cpan' tool to remove modules,
but 'cpanm' has a nice simple interface for doing that so I thought it
would be compatible with 'cpan'.

Also, I see 'cpan -r -T' runs lots of tests, I thought '-T' was to
supposed to skip the tests.

Hope this helps,

Frederick