[perl #133458] Remove Locale-Codes from core modules

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
August 19, 2018 03:23
Subject:
[perl #133458] Remove Locale-Codes from core modules
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-16117-1534649002-749.133458-15-0@perl.org
On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 02:07:10 GMT, jkeenan@pobox.com wrote:
> So that we can have a permanent record in RT of this proposed module
> removal, I am opening this ticket.
>
> Sullivan Beck, maintainer of Locale-Codes, originally proposed removal
> of this module from the core in November 2017.  Discussion began here:
>
> https://lists.gt.net/perl/porters/338584?search_string=Locale-Codes;#338584
>
> Today (Aug 18 2018), Sullivan Beck wrote:
>
> #####
>
> I've got a patch ready that removes Locale-Codes from perl core.  It is
> available at:
>
>     https://sullybeck.com/0001-Remove-Locale-Codes-from-core.patch.gz
>
> I did NOT update any change file to state that the package was no longer
> distributed in core, so that will need to be done by someone more
> familiar with keeping the changes recorded.
>
> Also, running make on the resulting source gave errors when running:
>
>     t/porting/podcheck
>
> I'm not familiar with the podcheck script, so I'm uncertain of the
> correct way to resolve this, so I'll leave that to others as well.
>
> Let me know if there's anything else that I should do on my end.
>
> #####
>
> Sullivan's (gzipped) patch is attached.  Once RT gives me a ticket
> number, I will try to create a smoke-me branch from that patch.
>
> Thank you very much.
> Jim Keenan

Here's the branch:

smoke-me/jkeenan/sbeck/133458-remove-locale-codes

As Sullivan noted, there were problems with the porting tests.  It took me several commits to get all tests PASSing.  I'm attaching the 3 commits for code review purposes.

Thank you very much.
--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---