Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again

From:
Karen Etheridge
Date:
Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again
Message ID:
12152_1534647322_5B78DC19_12152_23_1_CAPJsHfCNRAOfJAtTV61PmdfqP00cy50yQjHRB_dC0x93xzr1dA@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 3:35 AM, Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:

> Note that the default behaviour for perl *is* always to install in
> version-specific directories. The behaviour you are seeing is that of a
> third-party module, local::lib, which is not bundled with perl, and which
> we (p5p) have no control over. (Although elsewhere in this thread it
> appears that MakeMaker etc may be to blame too.)

But the toolchain gang does, and there's a large overlap between that group
and p5p. We should not go "oh well, not in core, not our problem" and leave
it to the original bug reporter to have to pursue the issue in another bug
queue (and attempt to explain the problem again, which leads to a game of
telephone). We can do better than that.

All local::lib does is set some environment variables, e.g.:

$ cd ~; perl -Mlocal::lib=local
Attempting to create directory /Users/ether/local
PATH="/Users/ether/local/bin${PATH:+:${PATH}}"; export PATH;
PERL5LIB="/Users/ether/local/lib/perl5${PERL5LIB:+:${PERL5LIB}}"; export
PERL5LIB;
PERL_LOCAL_LIB_ROOT="/Users/ether/local${PERL_LOCAL_LIB_ROOT:+:${PERL_LOCAL_LIB_ROOT}}";
export PERL_LOCAL_LIB_ROOT;
PERL_MB_OPT="--install_base \"/Users/ether/local\""; export PERL_MB_OPT;
PERL_MM_OPT="INSTALL_BASE=/Users/ether/local"; export PERL_MM_OPT;
Perhaps those environment variables should always contain the perl
version.  There would be some backcompat issues, but we could possibly
handle that by putting the old non-versioned directory into PERL5LIB after
the new versioned one (or something clever with symlinks, or.. well, we'd
have to discuss it.)

-ether@cpan.org