Re: RFC: remove Locale-Codes from core modules

From:
Sullivan Beck
Date:
Re: RFC: remove Locale-Codes from core modules
Message ID:
856c78f5-a97a-fde9-f15a-355d767fdaa6@gmail.com
On 11/21/2017 09:55 AM, Sullivan Beck (CPAN) wrote:
> On 11/21/2017 06:13 AM, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker wrote:
>> Karen Etheridge <perl@froods.org> writes:
>>
>>> I saw this thread today while preparing 5.27.6 for release. I see that
>>> Locale::Codes was released to cpan a few days ago noting that the
>>> deprecation will occur in 5.27.7, not 5.27.6, so consequently I am *not*
>>> synchronizing Locale::Codes in blead with the latest cpan release.
>> I have now applied the patch from Sullivan, and noted the deprecation in
>> core in perldelta as commit 183fb71f76211d8eb672b86602b8d9c00541afbe.
>>
>> - ilmari
>
> Thanks to everyone.
>
> So in perl 5.28.x, Locale-Codes is deprecated and, if used, will issue a
> warning.
>
> Once 5.28 is released, I'll submit a patch that removes Locale-Codes
> from 5.29.1 so that it'll be gone in 5.30 (unless someone objects and
> believes the deprecation should last two cycles).

I've got a patch ready that removes Locale-Codes from perl core.  It is
available at:

    https://sullybeck.com/0001-Remove-Locale-Codes-from-core.patch.gz

I did NOT update any change file to state that the package was no longer
distributed in core, so that will need to be done by someone more
familiar with keeping the changes recorded.

Also, running make on the resulting source gave errors when running:

    t/porting/podcheck

I'm not familiar with the podcheck script, so I'm uncertain of the
correct way to resolve this, so I'll leave that to others as well.

Let me know if there's anything else that I should do on my end.

Thanks

--

Sullivan Beck
sullybeck@gmail.com