Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again

From:
frederik
Date:
Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again
Message ID:
1395_1534319774_5B73DC99_1395_32_1_20180815075544.GC30438@ofb.net
On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 11:47:54PM -0700, (Andreas J. Koenig) via RT wrote:

>   > But that would argue for version-specific paths (because the different
>   > hosts might have different Perl versions).
>
> You can sync your .local directory to other machines only if the two
> machines are perfectly in sync with regard to all involved libraries.
>
> As I read the whole thread here, your problem is recompilation after
> some library upgrade. The shell that comes with CPAN.pm has a commend
> for that, it is called `recompile`. Maye you try that out. Disclaimer: I
> wrote it. Let me know if you have questions about it.

That's good advice, although I would say that the main problem for me
is users being faced with an error message that doesn't point to a
clear solution. But maybe that's what Stack Exchange or IRC is for?
And maybe I'm the only one that's confused? Nevertheless one would
hope that the local documentation would be sufficient for something
this basic.

FWIW I tried your 'recompile' and I got a bunch of errors. I'm
attaching the output. I'm rerunning it after "cpanm -U Digest::SHA"
and it seems to be doing something productive.

The approach I tried earlier, which I think I mentioned, was to run
cpan-outdated, but I guess this is something different - its man page
doesn't say anything about helping you recompile binary modules which
may not have actually changed versions. Your suggestion seems more
promising.

Thank you,

Frederick