[perl #133440] binaries mismatched again

From:
slaven@rezic.de via RT
Date:
August 15, 2018 05:12
Subject:
[perl #133440] binaries mismatched again
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-16084-1534309926-991.133440-15-0@perl.org
Dana Tue, 14 Aug 2018 16:19:54 -0700, LeonT reče:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 10:41 AM, Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 11:56:26PM +0200, Leon Timmermans wrote:
> >> I think most people avoid configurations where incompatible perl
> >> builds share the same arch directories. Judging by your @INC my first
> >> guess is that you're reusing your old perl's local::lib directories,
> >> which would indeed blow up in your face.
> >
> > From a quick perusal of local::lib's documentation, it appears that
> > it doesn't use version-specific paths under the local directory, which
> > on the face of it seems like a design flaw.
>
> Perl doesn't quite provide enough rope to tie that knot. Or at least
> it doesn't for the common scenario where one has multiple
> (incompatible) perls and at login time one doesn't know yet which to
> use when. The only primitive we provide (PERL5LIB) does "prepend these
> dirs to @INC". I can sort of imagine a tool that does what you
> suggest, but the additional complexity and fragility sound
> uncomfortable.

The PERL5LIB mechanism is sufficient here. If set user sets something like

    PERL5LIB=/root/perl5/lib/perl5

then @INC contains automatically

    /root/perl5/lib/perl5/5.28.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi
    /root/perl5/lib/perl5/5.28.0
    /root/perl5/lib/perl5/x86_64-linux-thread-multi
    /root/perl5/lib/perl5

so architecture and perl api (version) specific files have their place.

The problem is, as I said, that INSTALL_BASE does not use these version-specific files.

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open