Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again
Message ID:
7911_1534288787_5B736392_7911_36_1_CAHhgV8gV9-k-_xe5vJVRmep_bityyyb8jOEEjo+kh72ZOVN9gQ@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 10:41 AM, Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 11:56:26PM +0200, Leon Timmermans wrote:
>> I think most people avoid configurations where incompatible perl
>> builds share the same arch directories. Judging by your @INC my first
>> guess is that you're reusing your old perl's local::lib directories,
>> which would indeed blow up in your face.
>
> From a quick perusal of local::lib's documentation, it appears that
> it doesn't use version-specific paths under the local directory, which
> on the face of it seems like a design flaw.

Perl doesn't quite provide enough rope to tie that knot. Or at least
it doesn't for the common scenario where one has multiple
(incompatible) perls and at login time one doesn't know yet which to
use when. The only primitive we provide (PERL5LIB) does "prepend these
dirs to @INC". I can sort of imagine a tool that does what you
suggest, but the additional complexity and fragility sound
uncomfortable.

It's a real problem, but I don't think it can be solved on the
local::lib side alone.

Leon