Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again
Message ID:
25021_1534197413_5B71FEA5_25021_34_1_CAHhgV8ghcHq3dZiC6Mt+WphJyJM3MQVdhE4ayg6pf5dr1xpbKA@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 6:23 AM,  <frederik@ofb.net> wrote:
> I guess I'm wondering why more people aren't coming to you with
> questions about this. And why not change the error message to point to
> a manual page which explains what to do. By "discoverability" I meant,
> a way for users to understand what they're seeing by reading the
> documentation that logically presents itself, for instance, if a
> module author says "you can install my module using the cpan tool",
> then two years later the user gets this error message, what is he
> expected to do next, given lack of omniscience - i.e. only knowing
> what he had to know to install cpan, and knowing the text of the error
> message.
>
> Reading what you wrote, I downloaded 'perl' and looked at INSTALL, at
> all the lines containing 'version.*directory' (I didn't have time to
> read all 3000 lines yet), and it didn't really answer my question. But
> this is not something I think most users would be expected to do; what
> happens is you get Perl from your distro and then you see there is a
> module in CPAN but not in the distro, so you install it locally using
> cpanm, etc. Then things break.
>
> I would like you to say, "Frederick, here is where you went wrong, you
> made a mistake that other users are not making when you did X".
> Because that would explain why you haven't been getting other bug
> reports about this. Lacking such an explanation, I'm kind of fearful
> that the answer is that Perl has just become a tool of an older
> generation of power users, many young programmers these days haven't
> even heard of it, they use bland corporate languages with fewer
> "gotchas"... (I'm only guessing here, because I don't use them
> myself...) But maybe that's off-topic.
>
> By the way I think I set up cpanm entirely by adding lines from `perl
> -Mlocal::lib=.local` to my shell profile.

I think most people avoid configurations where incompatible perl
builds share the same arch directories. Judging by your @INC my first
guess is that you're reusing your old perl's local::lib directories,
which would indeed blow up in your face.

Leon