Re: [perl #133301] Evalulation order during concat changed

From:
Dan Book
Date:
Re: [perl #133301] Evalulation order during concat changed
Message ID:
14766_1533933331_5B6DF712_14766_49_3_CABMkAVWBk+wduTutd8Sw1JC+7Rks2i9hoqqgZco93fzbt6632w@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 4:08 PM David Nicol <davidnicol@gmail.com> wrote:

> How heavy would the modification to the multiconcat code be to allow
> "snapshots" that would upgrade to copies of the before state when a thing
> gets modified later on, instead of simple aliases? I'm guessing just using
> copies everywhere would defeat the purpose of the initiative.
>
> How big of a change is recategorizing Dot as non-associative instead of
> left-associative? I think huge, in that any code written to rely on the
> associativity will not work after upgrade.

There's a third option, which is to not apply the optimization (or apply
the copying behavior) when operands of the concatenation are not simple
scalars.

-Dan