Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
Re: [perl #133440] binaries mismatched again
Message ID:
20180810201832.3tnzwfwb7ybazode@dendrite.phys.lafayette.edu
On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 11:24:20AM -0700,  (via RT) wrote:
> # New Ticket Created by
>

> This is a bug report for perl from frederik@ofb.net,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.41 running under perl 5.28.0.

> [Please describe your issue here]
>
> I was able to find that I already reported this bug, sorry:
>
> https://rt.perl.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=130718
>
> The problem is that when running Perl code I see error messages containing the text "loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched".

> Am I an atypical user for having basic stuff like Compress::Raw::Zlib installed "locally" (i.e. in my home directory)? (I'm not sure how it got there)

> I'm not trying to be facetious, I just have a confusing situation and I don't know why other people are not also finding it as confusing as I do. Maybe there is a simple answer.

The immediate problem is that you have version-specific stuff stored
in a non-version-specific directory.  That is, looking at your @INC,
you have "locally" installed modules  in

>     /home/frederik/.local/lib/perl5/x86_64-linux-thread-multi

Perl's configuration defaults are to store version-specific stuff in
version-specific directories.  Lots more details are in the INSTALL file,
under the section "Coexistence with earlier versions of perl 5".

I'm not sure why you have Compress::Raw::Zlib installed locally, since
it has been bundled with perl since version 5.9.4.  Of course you are
certainly welcome to install different versions than those bundled with
perl, but if you are going to do so, and if you're going to store them in
a non-version-specific directory, you'll need to recompile them when
you upgrade to a new major version.  Upgrade time is also a good time
to re-visit the question of whether you want to continue overriding the
standard version with your own local version.

Hope that helps a little,

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu