Issues cross-building Perl for apm821xx (flavor of ppc 464fp)

From:
Philip Prindeville
Date:
July 31, 2018 23:32
Subject:
Issues cross-building Perl for apm821xx (flavor of ppc 464fp)
Message ID:
0ED32C96-5ADA-407D-B93F-296A8BA601DB@cpan.org
Hi.

I’m just now getting eyes on this bug report downstream:

https://bugs.openwrt.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=1464

where it’s said that the additional CFLAGS "-fwrapv -fno-strict-aliasing” are required to get Perl5 to not SEGV.

This is easy enough to reproduce.

I’m thinking that it’s odd that all other packages build without these flags, but somehow only Perl fails.

The gcc 7.3 manual says:

-fwrapv

This option instructs the compiler to assume that signed arithmetic overflow of addition, subtraction and multiplication wraps around using twos-complement representation. This flag enables some optimizations and disables others.

Isn’t that the default model of the underlying machine for the C language?

Anyone seen anything remotely similar?

Thanks,

-Philip