Re: What platforms should we remove support from?

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
Re: What platforms should we remove support from?
Message ID:
20180731015230.jqbdt33quk357zzk@dendrite.phys.lafayette.edu
On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 11:43:17AM -0600, Karl Williamson wrote:
> On 07/30/2018 02:26 AM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 12:15:06PM -0600, Karl Williamson wrote:
> > > sunos
> >
> > I think Solaris identifies itself as sunos 5, and I don't *think*
> > Oracle has managed to completely kill Solaris yet.
> >

> We have code that supports solaris specifically, and I think we should
> continue to support that.   Presumably the references to sunos are for the
> earlier versions, but we should make sure before dropping.  We have active
> solaris smokers.

Yes, the SunOS hints are for the old SunOS, and predate solaris.  (The old SunOS
called itself SunOS 4, and, later, Solaris 1.  Solaris 2.x is the newest version
as reported by uname.) Solaris support still works (at least as of 5.28), and
the OpenIndiana project is also still active and uses the solaris hints.

The SunOS hints don't set anything particularly invasive, so while they could be
deleted and the supporting code removed, it wouldn't clean things up all that
much, so it probably doesn't make much of a difference either way.

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu