Re: What platforms should we remove support from?

From:
Steve Hay via perl5-porters
Date:
Re: What platforms should we remove support from?
Message ID:
CADED=K4HPgzhP1uTXdk1Y-d2fmXdKHErdeaXYRirrgjokw_8LA@mail.gmail.com
On 29 July 2018 at 19:15, Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:
> On 07/28/2018 06:16 PM, Tomasz Konojacki wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 17:43:25 -0600
>> Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We agreed to remove support for Ultrix in the thread beginning at
>>> http://nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/249983
>>>
>>> What other ancient platforms should go (like Atari) ?
>>

>> Recently there was some discussion about removing Windows CE support:
>> https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2018/07/msg251510.html
>>
>> Also, it's not really a platform, but dropping Visual C++ 6 support is a
>> recurring topic on this list, most recently in this ticket:
>> https://rt.perl.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=132766
>>

> ok.  Comments welcome on these.
>
> I am of the opinion that we shouldn't remove stuff just because it's old and
> even disused.  As others said in the thread, only if it's causing us
> problems now should it be removed.  These problems could mean a bunch of
> specialized code for it, such as VC++6 has, or a bunch of open tickets that
> would require adding specialized code to fix.

Yes, VC6 has special code in handy.h, inline.h, numeric.c, perl.h and
util.h. There isn't very much to it, but based on past experience
there seems to be a greater chance of having future problems and
needing more special code like it in the future than there is with
later compilers. Right now I don't mind too much whether it stays or
goes, but we might regret not having ditched it the next time a
problem comes up...

However, I think WinCE should definitely go. The only vocal supporters
of it in the recent past have been Vadim and bulk88 and both have
indicated that they don't object to it going. Also, as I wrote in the
other thread that was cited above, I believe it's currently broken
anyway and has been for some time.