Re: What platforms should we remove support from?

From:
Tomasz Konojacki
Date:
Re: What platforms should we remove support from?
Message ID:
20180729232312.0103.5C4F47F8@xenu.pl
On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 12:15:06 -0600
Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:

> Even though the core C language files may not have much in the way of specialized support, the supporting modules shipped with core do.  There are a bunch of instances where $^O is examined.  I grepped for those, and threw out any .t or .pod files.  In the interest of moving forward, I compiled this list of platforms that are tested for, minus the ones I am confident that we want to continue to support:

I'll comment on platforms I know something about:

> dragonfly

I'm using it a lot, it's a modern BSD variant. It certainly needs to be
supported.

> haiku

It's a very actively developed modern clone of BeOS, it includes perl in
its base installation. We can't drop it.

> msys

It's one of the most widely installed ports of perl. For example, git
for Windows depends on it.

> symbian

The platform is dead, and this port was just a toy. IMO it should be
removed.

> epoc
> MacOS

We have officially dropped support for EPOC32 and MacOS classic years
ago.