Re: Allowing require to return false

From:
demerphq
Date:
Re: Allowing require to return false
Message ID:
CANgJU+Wnt8wdW8UgDYvFjmv7EGkaVRAzDWp6Zmdtetfv0UCcGw@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 at 23:49, Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 11:58:55AM +0100, John Imrie via perl5-porters wrote:
> > There may be a way of implementing this with out too much trouble.
> > 1st make it controlled by a feature inside the module, which means that it
> > wont break old code
>
> But why make it even more complex than it already is? Why is
> requiring a feature / minimum release at the top of a module any easier
> than adding a '1;' at the end? Now people have to remember both ways.
> See the subthread about die versus false as to whether %INC is set;
> there's enough cognitive load already without adding just that bit extra.

Would be nice to hear your thoughts in that thread about whether and
how it should be documented.

It is not clear to me if this is a situation where Larry documented
how he wanted it to work, then the implementation drifted for some
reason, then a later person "improved" the docs by documenting more
precisely what actually happens, and now we have a bug blessed into a
feature by accident, or whether these idosyncracies are
deliberate/desired.

Yves