Re: Allowing require to return false

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
Re: Allowing require to return false
Message ID:
20180726164355.GA2935@iabyn.com
On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 09:56:12AM -0400, David Farrell wrote:
> Frustratingly, I don't know if any of these are worth pursuing - I wonder
> if anyone would write modules that didn't return a true value as they
> wouldn't work on past versions of Perl. If we assume Perl is going to be
> used for another 25 years, then maybe it's worth it.

I'm opposed to making any change here.

It's an annoying but trivial little quirk that people have to remember.
If we change it (such as adding adding a feature, or use v5.30) then for
the next 20 years people have to remember *2* quirks instead.

Just removing it altogether might not break *many* modules, but why break
*anything* for so little gain?

--
Nothing ventured, nothing lost.