Re: [perl #132142] Bleadperl v5.27.3-34-gf6107ca24b breaksMLEHMANN/AnyEvent-HTTP-2.23.tar.gz

From:
Andreas Koenig
Date:
Re: [perl #132142] Bleadperl v5.27.3-34-gf6107ca24b breaksMLEHMANN/AnyEvent-HTTP-2.23.tar.gz
Message ID:
21778_1531556136_5B49B124_21778_20_1_87fu0mnshc.fsf@k85.linux.bogus

  > A *reasonable* perl programmer would have looked at the documentation for
  > sort, noted that there was absolutely no mention of "in-place" sorting or
  > @a = sort @a having special behaviour, and either concluded that no
  > special behaviour was intended, or enquired with p5p as to why the
  > documentation was lacking, and whether this was an oversight.

I'm wary whenever somebody argues that something would have needed to be
done by somebody else.

Especially so, when this somebody is a user of the language that the
speaker maintains. Being a perl5-porter means being subject to a higher
standard to what reasonable behaviour is than for a user of the
language. In other words, a porter can never blame a user for
unsatisficing documentation.

We have a case that what the language maintainer demands from the
language user has not happened. But it is never too late to adjust
documentation.

I would argue that

- by having the documentation in the delta manpage,
- not taking it over into the perfunc/sort manpage and
- not noticing the missing part of the documentation for 13 years

there is a case of a customary right on the side of all users of the
language to keep the behaviour as implemented. Especially so, as the
behaviour is useful and actively deployed in a high profile CPAN module
that has a high number of direct and indirect users.

Alternatives have not been suggested yet and might exist that might lead
to an even better solution for all parties.

  > PS - I don't think for one minute the use of the phrase "in-place" was
  > ambiguous *in context*, in either the p5p discussion or the perldelta; it
  > was only ambiguous in the sense that your specific questions about it
  > provided no context as to what behaviour was being referring to.

I'm not sure I can parse this sentence correctly. I think I have
provided quite some context. If you think otherwise, feel free to ask.

--
andreas