Re: [perl #132142] Bleadperl v5.27.3-34-gf6107ca24b breaksMLEHMANN/AnyEvent-HTTP-2.23.tar.gz

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
Re: [perl #132142] Bleadperl v5.27.3-34-gf6107ca24b breaksMLEHMANN/AnyEvent-HTTP-2.23.tar.gz
Message ID:
26096_1530826721_5B3E8FE1_26096_41_1_20180705213824.GY2753@iabyn.com
On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 09:57:22PM +0200, Andreas Koenig wrote:
> To sum up: a reasonable perl programmer who was following the
> developement on perl5-porters around the time of perl 5.8.4 might have
> understood that this in-place sorting was a powerful feature. Readers
> who were not reading perl5-porters at that time, can now read the above
> linked thread and try to understand how the reasonable programmer might
> have taken it up. The reasonable programmer might not have noticed that
> the feature did not find its way into the documentation. He might have
> used it in a module and uploaded it to CPAN. In fact this did happen
> indeed.

This is just beyond absurd. If we apply that criteria to perl generally,
there is essentially no bug we can fix, no change we can ever make, in
case someone made a comment on a p5p thread 14 years ago, which by
squinting hard enough could be interpreted as supporting the buggy
behaviour.

So hooray, perl is complete. We can all go away and work on other things
now.

A *reasonable* perl programmer would have looked at the documentation for
sort, noted that there was absolutely no mention of "in-place" sorting or
@a = sort @a having special behaviour, and either concluded that no
special behaviour was intended, or enquired with p5p as to why the
documentation was lacking, and whether this was an oversight.

PS - I don't think for one minute the use of the phrase "in-place" was
ambiguous *in context*, in either the p5p discussion or the perldelta; it
was only ambiguous in the sense that your specific questions about it
provided no context as to what behaviour was being referring to.

--
A walk of a thousand miles begins with a single step...
then continues for another 1,999,999 or so.