Re: [Encode] 2.98 released!

From:
Steve Hay via perl5-porters
Date:
Re: [Encode] 2.98 released!
Message ID:
CADED=K7n-9iwKH5Y_cRuFA6A2Bk8QtUmtFVehCfqyrXAaa+6_A@mail.gmail.com
On 22 April 2018 at 14:42, James E Keenan <jkeenan@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 04/22/2018 08:55 AM, Sawyer X wrote:

>>> Because we're now in pre-5.28.0 code freeze, I believe this should *not*
>>> be merged into core until 5.29.0 -- unless the pumpking decides
>>> otherwise.
>>

>> Jim is correct. This should not be merged. It can be in a branch to be
>> merged next month.
>>

> In any event, it's not ready for merge.  There's one version number that
> wasn't updated.
>
> #####
> $ cd t;./perl harness -v porting/cmp_version.t; cd -
>
> ok 1 - cpan/Encode/Encode.pm
> not ok 2 - cpan/Encode/Unicode/Unicode.pm version 2.17
> # not ok 2 - cpan/Encode/Unicode/Unicode.pm version 2.17
> ok 3 - dist/Storable/__Storable__.pm
> ok 4 - lib/B/Op_private.pm
> Failed 1/4 subtests
>
> Test Summary Report
> -------------------
> porting/cmp_version.t (Wstat: 0 Tests: 4 Failed: 1)
>   Failed test:  2
> Files=1, Tests=4,  0 wallclock secs ( 0.01 usr  0.00 sys +  0.09 cusr 0.01
> csys =  0.11 CPU)
> Result: FAIL
> /home/jkeenan/gitwork/perl
> #####

Hi Dan,

Is there a chance you could release a new Encode with Unicode.pm's
$VERSION bumped?

The $VERSION needs to be changed in any module that has changes in it,
including (as in this case) in its XS file.

(I think this has occurred several times over the years. Would it be a
good idea to bump the $VERSION of *every* module in the distribution
every time you make a new release, maybe even syncing them all to the
same version number (as long as it's higher than the current number of
every module, so that every module moves to a higher number - we
woudn't want any going backwards)? Some distributions follow that
pattern and whilst it does cause some extra noise with $VERSIONs
getting bumped in files that otherwise haven't changed, it does at
least prevent this problem from occurring.)