[perl #133327] stack checks make -DDEBUGGING builds incompatiblewith normal ones

From:
Sergey Aleynikov via RT
Date:
July 3, 2018 16:55
Subject:
[perl #133327] stack checks make -DDEBUGGING builds incompatiblewith normal ones
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-26980-1530636933-553.133327-15-0@perl.org
On Tue, 03 Jul 2018 08:49:38 -0700, ntyni@debian.org wrote:

> Would it be feasible move the -DDEBUGGING check in EXTEND to run time,
> for instance by calling a function that's a no-op in non-DEBUGGING
> interpreters, or checking for an interpreter variable that's only set
> in -DDEBUGGING builds? This has a runtime cost, but I'm not sure how
> significant that is?

A lot of module authors use EXTEND pessimistically, like the whole XPUSH* macro family, effectively calling EXTEND in O(return values) number of times. And the suggested approach will surely penalize this. Cpan search showed more than 1000 distribution with this pattern.

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: new