Re: [perl #132671] Bleadperl v5.27.6-206-g16ada235c3 breaksJGAMBLE/Algorithm-QuineMcCluskey-0.16.tar.gz

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
Re: [perl #132671] Bleadperl v5.27.6-206-g16ada235c3 breaksJGAMBLE/Algorithm-QuineMcCluskey-0.16.tar.gz
Message ID:
5c1df66b-a21e-d393-6165-a3e8c2e2120f@khwilliamson.com
On 06/30/2018 05:23 AM, Sawyer X wrote:

> On 06/10/2018 08:27 PM, slaven@rezic.de via RT wrote:
>> Dana Sun, 10 Jun 2018 08:54:06 -0700, public@khwilliamson.com reče:
>>>>
>>> Shouldn't the module owner automatically be placed in the cc: at
>>> ticket
>>> creation time?
>> Often bleadperl failures are fixed, without the need to tell the module owners.
>>

> I tend to inform the author if it's someone I know (even passingly), but
> I think you raise a good point about the author needing to at least know
> that their module is affected. Doubly so if we think it's an error they
> need to fix and we do not intend to undo.
>
> I think Karl's suggestion is the very minimum of communication we can
> provide the author to keep them in the loop. If it's eventually resolved
> on our end, they wouldn't need to do a thing, but they would at least
> know. If we determine they had a bug, they would see it in the
> correspondence.
>
> It's a valuable step to add to the process.

The message we send needs to be carefully crafted so as to not
unnecessarily alarm the author.  Below is an initial draft.  Feel free
to edit it and post the results.  Maybe we should use a wiki.

This is a heads-up to let you know that XXX is no longer fully working
in the latest development release of Perl.  Don't panic.  Usually this
is the result of a change creating a new bug in the core, and it will be
duly investigated and fixed without you having to do anything.  But as a
listed maintainer of the module, we think you should be kept aware of
the progress of this issue, and so you have automatically been added to
the copy-to list for correspondence about it.  You, of course, may have
valuable insights, so feel free to participate in the discussion.