develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2018

Perl 5.28.0 is now available!

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
June 23, 2018 02:09
Subject:
Perl 5.28.0 is now available!
Message ID:
ec5fb9f4-afd9-9bad-0c4e-d2288376f3a5@gmail.com
  When we look at modern man we have to face the fact that modern man
  suffers from a kind of poverty of the spirit which stands in glaring
  contrast with his scientific and technological abundance. We've
  learned to fly the air as birds, we've learned to swim the seas as
  fish, yet we haven't learned to walk the earth as brothers and
  sisters.

    -- Martin Luther King Jr., 1967

We are delighted to announce perl v5.28.0, the first stable release of
version 28 of Perl 5.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.28.0 from your favorite CPAN
mirror or find it at:

https://metacpan.org/release/XSAWYERX/perl-5.28.0/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

  0622f86160e8969633cbd21a2cca9e11ae1f8c5a  perl-5.28.0.tar.gz
  c0e9e7a0dea97ec9816687d865fd461a99ef185c  perl-5.28.0.tar.xz

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located
in the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web at

https://metacpan.org/pod/release/XSAWYERX/perl-5.28.0/pod/perldelta.pod

Perl 5.28.0 represents approximately 13 months of development since Perl
5.26.0 and contains approximately 730,000 lines of changes across 2,200
files from 77 authors.

Excluding auto-generated files, documentation and release tools, there
were approximately 580,000 lines of changes to 1,300 .pm, .t, .c and .h
files.

Perl continues to flourish into its fourth decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers. The following people are known to
have contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.28.0:

Aaron Crane, Abigail, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason, Alberto Simões, Alexandr
Savca, Andrew Fresh, Andy Dougherty, Andy Lester, Aristotle Pagaltzis,
Ask Bjørn Hansen, Chris 'BinGOs' Williams, Craig A. Berry, Dagfinn
Ilmari Mannsåker, Dan Collins, Daniel Dragan, David Cantrell, David
Mitchell, Dmitry Ulanov, Dominic Hargreaves, E. Choroba, Eric Herman,
Eugen Konkov, Father Chrysostomos, Gene Sullivan, George Hartzell,
Graham Knop, Harald Jörg, H.Merijn Brand, Hugo van der Sanden, Jacques
Germishuys, James E Keenan, Jarkko Hietaniemi, Jerry D. Hedden, J. Nick
Koston, John Lightsey, John Peacock, John P. Linderman, John SJ
Anderson, Karen Etheridge, Karl Williamson, Ken Brown, Ken Cotterill,
Leon Timmermans, Lukas Mai, Marco Fontani, Marc-Philip Werner, Matthew
Horsfall, Neil Bowers, Nicholas Clark, Nicolas R., Niko Tyni, Pali, Paul
Marquess, Peter John Acklam, Reini Urban, Renee Baecker, Ricardo Signes,
Robin Barker, Sawyer X, Scott Lanning, Sergey Aleynikov, Shirakata
Kentaro, Shoichi Kaji, Slaven Rezic, Smylers, Steffen Müller, Steve Hay,
Sullivan Beck, Thomas Sibley, Todd Rinaldo, Tomasz Konojacki, Tom
Hukins, Tom Wyant, Tony Cook, Vitali Peil, Yves Orton, Zefram.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history. In particular, it does not
include the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who
reported issues to the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN
modules included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN
community for helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors,
please see the AUTHORS file in the Perl source distribution.

We expect to release perl v5.29.0 tomorrow, followed by v5.29.1 on July
20th. The next major stable release of Perl 5, version 30.0, should
appear in June 2019.

In hugs and bugs,
Sawyer X.