develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2018

Re: Any thoughts to a NetWare upgrade?

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
June 22, 2018 15:42
Re: Any thoughts to a NetWare upgrade?
Message ID:
CA+vYcVzfbcSUU-r1stwsVRsskPj+5icw1WY3JQ3LUV7DqJQaWQ@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 11:48 PM, NormW <normw@gknw.net> wrote:
> GD,
> Attached is a 'Readme' file I wrote back when Perl 5.8.9 was still new, and
> had, with help from a patched 5.8.4 from Novell engineers, been able to
> build Perl 5.8.9 using LibC, and run MOST of the tests successfully on a
> NetWare v6 box. (There's a test summary in the attached file).
>    Thus encouraged, I put the build up on a friend's website as another
> open-source NetWare project.
>   I still have the original 5.8.4 port to LibC, and periodically update the
> diffs such that I can build 5.28.0 for Novell's LibC. After some head
> banging can again build the documents in html format.
>
>   The .\NetWare directory in the Perl source tree was code also supplied by
> Novell engineers, but the CLib C library it was intended for was superceded,
> then the staff that did the port (in India) were made redundant, and finally
> Novell suffered a similar fate.
>
>   NetWare was intended solely as a network-server, so the few failures are
> not so bad, having regard to its first Perl test attempt (that I know of)
> with LibC.
>
>   Wether there is any desire (or need) to upgrade the Perl NetWare source is
> the crux of the question. If upgrading, I also have a GNU Makefile that can
> get Perl/Libperl built. I use OWC as the compiler but my Makefile also
> supports a Public Domain GCC port that was tweaked to handle the NetWare way
> of doing things.

It seems to me that if what's in the NetWare directory now cannot work
with current Perl and/or latest Netware but can be replaced by
something that does, then it should be replaced with what you've got.
That should include removing anything vestigial that is no longer
applicable as well as adding/changing whatever needs to be.  Anything
removed would still be present in older maintenance branches if anyone
ever wanted to go looking for it.

Can you submit patches?  It would be highly preferable to see a series
of smallish patches, one for each coherent set of changes, and this
would especially apply to any changes outside the NetWare directory.