develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2018

Any thoughts to a NetWare upgrade?

From:
NormW
Date:
June 17, 2018 04:40
Subject:
Any thoughts to a NetWare upgrade?
Message ID:
5B25E815.9080103@gknw.net
GD,
Attached is a 'Readme' file I wrote back when Perl 5.8.9 was still new,
and had, with help from a patched 5.8.4 from Novell engineers, been able
to build Perl 5.8.9 using LibC, and run MOST of the tests successfully
on a NetWare v6 box. (There's a test summary in the attached file).
    Thus encouraged, I put the build up on a friend's website as another
open-source NetWare project.
   I still have the original 5.8.4 port to LibC, and periodically update
the diffs such that I can build 5.28.0 for Novell's LibC. After some
head banging can again build the documents in html format.

   The .\NetWare directory in the Perl source tree was code also
supplied by Novell engineers, but the CLib C library it was intended for
was superceded, then the staff that did the port (in India) were made
redundant, and finally Novell suffered a similar fate.

   NetWare was intended solely as a network-server, so the few failures
are not so bad, having regard to its first Perl test attempt (that I
know of) with LibC.

   Wether there is any desire (or need) to upgrade the Perl NetWare
source is the crux of the question. If upgrading, I also have a GNU
Makefile that can get Perl/Libperl built. I use OWC as the compiler but
my Makefile also supports a Public Domain GCC port that was tweaked to
handle the NetWare way of doing things.
Norm