develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2018

Re: [perl #133131] Blead Breaks CPAN: Devel::Cover

From:
Aaron Crane
Date:
April 21, 2018 11:02
Re: [perl #133131] Blead Breaks CPAN: Devel::Cover
Message ID:
CACmk_tuOYPRbYjbL1Ta0PcUd0PJKf+CYe41OrH0q0bS2Hd+Yfw@mail.gmail.com
Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:
> Looks good to me. I agree it should go in 5.28.

Thanks. Sawyer has confirmed in-person that this should go in, so I'll
merge it today.

> Also, is it possible for you supply a test patch for Devel::Cover
> so that such breakage gets spotted in future?

This morning, at Ilmari's suggestion, I tried running Devel::Cover on
a trivial loop using non-DEBUGGING builds of blead releases either
side of the commit that introduced the optimisation, and the coverage
data was identical (except for timings). As far as I can tell,
Devel::Cover only measures coverage of the loop condition and body,
not the OP_AND that does the conditional branching, so this specific
difference isn't visible to it.

--
Aaron Crane