develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2018

Re: [perl #133131] Blead Breaks CPAN: Devel::Cover

From:
Aaron Crane
Date:
April 21, 2018 08:04
Re: [perl #133131] Blead Breaks CPAN: Devel::Cover
Message ID:
CACmk_tssnSKd76tHjCQ_0pcQRLNnSBzCUnqruR1nDq8zSW79cw@mail.gmail.com
James E Keenan via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
> A couple of weeks back I gave a talk at ny.pm.  In the discussion period, I remarked that, because Devel::Cover (along with Devel::NYTProf) digs deep into the Perl guts, we expect it to break at least once during each dev cycle.
>
> Surprisingly, at least when built on non-DEBUGGING builds on Linux, Devel::Cover was graded PASS at each monthly dev release up thru 5.27.10.  (I hope to have 5.27.11 results within 2 days.)  But of course I don't do that testing on DEBUGGING builds.

Assertions are normally enabled only in DEBUGGING builds, so
non-DEBUGGING builds won't display problems of this sort.

> Do you know whether any other major CPAN libraries break on DEBUGGING builds?

I haven't investigated; it was coincidence that I tripped over this
assertion failure.

--
Aaron Crane