develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2018

Re: [perl #133021] Removed the word "discouraged" from threads'documentation

From:
Eirik Berg Hanssen
Date:
April 10, 2018 22:44
Re: [perl #133021] Removed the word "discouraged" from threads'documentation
Message ID:
CAHAeAG7N=LVj10HmQ37J+6FQLHS4ZCGxPoFxh9xb4ftVZ=aJ1A@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 12:33 AM, Tomasz Konojacki <me@xenu.pl> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2018, at 16:46, Eirik Berg Hanssen wrote:
>
>   How about we make thread support opt-in instead of opt-out?
>

> It's already the case. By default perl builds without ithreads.

  Context:

Fine - add to the pod in your modules that they're not thread-safe.

>   How about we make thread support opt-in instead of opt-out?

  That is, I was referring to thread support in CPAN modules.  I'm
suggesting we document, in big fat (blinking marquee etc ...):

  Unless a module explicitly states it supports threads, and you use it
with threads, you're on your own and get to keep both pieces when it breaks.

Eirik