develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2018

Re: [perl #133021] Removed the word "discouraged" from threads'documentation

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
April 10, 2018 14:00
Re: [perl #133021] Removed the word "discouraged" from threads'documentation
Message ID:
20180410135953.GB24402@iabyn.com
On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 02:59:50PM +0200, Christian Walde wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 13:03:45 +0200, Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:
>
> > I really fail to see how CPAN is different in this regard.
>
> Because this is Perl where not using CPAN is not an option and CPAN
> library consumers rely on CPAN libraries being almost entirely
> rock-solid, or at least the author having easy and quick ways to fix
> bugs.

You still haven't differentiated perl+CPAN from some_other_language +
3rd_party_libraries_needed_to_get_the_job_done.

If using a programming language other than perl, then it is likely that:

1) not using 3rd-party libraries is not an option;
2) consumers of 3rd-party libraries rely on those libraries being almost
   entirely rock-solid, or at least the author having easy and quick ways
   to fix bugs.

> If you really look at all 3 points i made, in aggregate, and don't see
> how this is a problem and a danger, then i don't think i can come up
> with other word combinations to make you see it.

Can you come up with a hypothetical scenario, e.g.  a multi-threaded
program that uses libraries to connect to a database and retrieve and
parse some XML data. Then got through it step by step so that I can see
why using perl and CPAN is dangerous, but using (e.g.) java and a DB and
XML library is safe? What is the crucial difference between the two that
flips it from being safe to unsafe?

--
If life gives you lemons, you'll probably develop a citric acid allergy.