develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2018

Re: [perl #133021] Removed the word "discouraged" from threads'documentation

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
April 9, 2018 09:18
Re: [perl #133021] Removed the word "discouraged" from threads'documentation
Message ID:
667e92ac-0c04-45a4-2ba9-041c5fef39f8@gmail.com

On 04/09/2018 10:51 AM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 08, 2018 at 10:23:20PM +0000, Christian Walde wrote:
>> - perl threads can work fine under a certain load, but crash randomly once
>> the load becomes too big
>> - perl threads can work fine on one computer, but crash randomly on another
>> due to slight module differences
> Is this based on the idea that the ithreads implementation itself is
> inherently buggy, or that some modules may not be thread-safe.
>
> I'd be surprised if the former, and if the latter, surely that applies
> to any "real" threading implementation in any programming language?

Could you please expand on this, Dave?