develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2018

Re: [perl #133021] Removed the word "discouraged" from threads'documentation

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
April 6, 2018 19:41
Re: [perl #133021] Removed the word "discouraged" from threads'documentation
Message ID:
7330f411-f45d-b68c-63b3-9cbe5d3871ea@gmail.com

On 04/05/2018 04:33 PM, Rocco Caputo wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2018, at 04:39, Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com
> <mailto:xsawyerx@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Did I miss anything?
>
> I think so.  The only part of the existing paragraph that tries to
> warn the reader about the difference between "supported" and "you will
> receive support":
>
> "Few people ... will be able to provide help."
>
> Even that is an understatement.  Maybe it should say "willing or able".
>
> In the context of the discussions leading up to the change, telling
> people that they won't get much help is the most important part of
> that paragraph.  The rest of it merely attempts to justify why it has
> to be said.

You're right. That is a good point.

I was thinking about this "discouraged" thing more and thought maybe a
phrasing of, "Unless you're [intimately] familiar with how this module
achieves threaded behavior, it is ill-advised to use it." or something
that suggests "You should probably understand this if you want to use
it." We could add that without knowledge, it can be unwieldy or something.

Jerry, if you could also help us pin down a description that is not
completely alarmist on the other, but is honest about the inherent risks
this adds to anyone who does not understand how it works - that would be
great.