develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2018

[perl #133067] Re: t/io/openpid.t makes test harness sluggish;reduce sleep time

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
April 6, 2018 03:33
Subject:
[perl #133067] Re: t/io/openpid.t makes test harness sluggish;reduce sleep time
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-23301-1522985591-1361.133067-75-0@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  Jarkko Hietaniemi
# Please include the string:  [perl #133067]

On 2/14/18 17:45, James E Keenan wrote:
> When you run 'make test_harness' often enough, you quickly become aware
> that, despite setting $TEST_JOBS to an appropriate value, certain test
> files are slow and block the forward movement of the harness.  The first
> such file I notice is t/io/openpid.t, which contains two commands which
> each sleep for 30 seconds.
>
> The amount of 'sleep' requested has been unchanged since commit c8fc8fb0
> in 2003.  Do we still need to sleep so much?  If not, please review

I fully admit that I have no recollection of the reasoning 15 years later.