develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2018

[perl #125619] Documentation of byte I/O

From:
Karl Williamson via RT
Date:
April 3, 2018 16:38
Subject:
[perl #125619] Documentation of byte I/O
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-29939-1522773530-674.125619-15-0@perl.org

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 22:09:20 -0700, tonyc wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 11:28:28 -0700, ikegami@adaelis.com wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 10:10 AM, Chas. Owens <chas.owens@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Or, if performance is needed and you are only interested in the UTF-8
> > > representation, you can use the C<encode> function from the L<utf8>
> > > pragma:
> > >
> > > use utf8;
> > >
> > > utf8::encode(my $utf8_byte_string = $string);
> > >

> > Sorry if this was already mentioned, but that should be
> >
> > utf8::encode(my $utf8_byte_string = $string);
> >
> > without
> >
> > use utf8;
> >
> > "use utf8;" is a pragma that indicates the source code is encoded
> > using
> > UTF-8, and does not control access to utf8::*.
>
> Is there anything else we want to do for this ticket?
>
> The only patch (with some extras and changes) was applied as:
>
> commit 01e331e519b4ccb213cadc7bfe7c04b8249e3289
> Author: Karl Williamson <khw@cpan.org>
> Date:   Sun Aug 9 21:40:21 2015 -0600
>
>     Update bytes.pm doc
>
>     The one legitimate use of this pragma is for debugging.  This changes to
>     say so, and other minor changes.
>
> (though it retained the unneeded C<use utf8;>.)
>
> Tony

No one replied to this; I'm unclear if it was sent to all the concerned parties.  The latest Encode running on blead is much faster than before.  I'm fine with leaving the wording as it is now; but before closing I wasnt to make sure that others don't have objections.  If I don't hear any withing 30 days, I will close the ticket.

--
Karl Williamson

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open