develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2018

Re: 5.28.0 is pushed to May

From:
Paul Johnson
Date:
March 29, 2018 13:06
Re: 5.28.0 is pushed to May
Message ID:
20180328111002.GB30808@pjcj.net
On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 07:39:13AM -0400, James E Keenan wrote:
> On 03/26/2018 03:47 AM, Sawyer X wrote:

> > This isn't the reason. The particular problem raised were with toolchain
> > which will be affected by the Perl release. Think of a toolchain module
> > (or a CPAN upstream river module) that is broken on blead. The extra
> > time will help resolve it on CPAN before the release is out.
>
> In short, I believe that it's P5P job to *repair* the current toolchain to
> the extent that P5P harms it.  It's PTS's job to improve and extend the
> toolchain.

Just speaking personally, I think that in probably half of the QA
hackathons / Toolchain Summits that I have attended, Devel::Cover has
been broken in the upcoming perl release, and I have used part of my
time to fix it.  In that respect I appreciate the timing of being a
month or so before the perl release.

Devel::Cover isn't really part of the toolchain, though I would be upset
if it didn't work with the latest version of perl.  And I specifically
don't expect p5p to fix it should that be necessary, as after an optree
change, for example.

This year, I think Devel::Cover still works on blead, though
cpancover.com is broken, so I will spend some time working on that at
PTS.

--
Paul Johnson - paul@pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net